You may be able to get no-cost rides to your non-emergency doctor appointments. To set up a ride, please call Access2Care at 1-833-404-1061 (TTY 711), press 2 for Iowa Total Care Member Services, then press 1 for Transportation.
If a family member or friend drives you to an appointment, you may be able to get help paying for gas. Call Access2Care prior to your appointment if you wish to use the mileage reimbursement program.
Please set up rides at least 2 working days before an appointment. Rides can be scheduled up to 60 days in advance of an appointment. At times urgent trips can be made with less than a 2-day notice. Access2Care may check with your doctor to make sure the appointment is urgent.
Who is eligible for transportation?
- Iowa Medicaid members
- Iowa Wellness Plan members who have been deemed “medically exempt” by the Iowa Department of Human Services
Who is not eligible for transportation?
- Hawki members
- Iowa Wellness Plan members who have not been deemed “medically exempt” by the Iowa Department of Human Services
Who is “Medically Exempt”?
"Medically Exempt" includes individuals who have a:
- Disabling mental disorder (including adults with serious mental illness)
- Chronic substance use disorders
- Serious and complex medical conditions
- Physical, intellectual or developmental disability that significantly impairs their ability to perform one or more activities of daily living
- Disability determination based on Social Security criteria
Waiver Program Transportation
If a member is on the Intellectual Disability, Elderly, Brain Injury or Physical Disability Waiver Program, transportation benefits may be written into their service plan. Members on these waivers can contact their case manager about having additional transportation benefits in their service plan.