Clinical Practice Guidelines
Iowa Total Care clinical and quality programs are based on evidence based preventive and clinical practice guidelines. Whenever possible, Iowa Total Care adopts guidelines that are published by nationally recognized organizations or government institutions, as well as state-wide collaborative and/or a consensus of healthcare professionals in the applicable field.
Iowa Total Care providers are expected to follow these guidelines and adherence to the guidelines will be evaluated at least annually as part of the Quality Management Program. The following is a sample of the clinical practice guidelines adopted by Iowa Total Care:
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Recommendations for Preventive Pediatric Health Care
- American Diabetes Association: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Adult and Child Immunization Schedules
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma and Guidelines for Management of Sickle Cell
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendations for Adult Preventive Health
- American Psychiatric Association
For links to the most current version of the guidelines adopted by Iowa Total Care, click here (Coming Soon). A paper copy of the practice guidelines can be requested by calling Provider Services toll-free at 833-404-1061.